We've found a terrible problem while developing websites with ASP.NET 1.1. Initially I though it is version problem because I have .NET Framework 2.0 installed on development machine.
I found an forum post where they said everything is fine when ASPNET account is in Administrators group. But this is nonsense - ASPNET accout CANNOT BE IN ADMINISTRATORS group. Otherwise this will be BIG security hole.
So I kept looking for solution and found article on MS Knowledge base - Process and request identity in ASP.NET:
Blindly grating rights described in section Default permissions for the ASPNET account didn't help us a lot.
I did the following.
- Delete ASPNET account from development machine.
- Execute from Visual Studio .NET 2003 Command Prompt aspnet_regiis -i so ASPNET 1.1 is installed on system and ASPNET accoutn is created.
- Grant read rights for ASPNET on %sysroot%\Windows
- Grant full rights for ASPNET on %installroot%\ASP.NET Temporary Files
- Grant read rights for ASPNET on IIS Web project folder so ASPNET can read root web.config file
- Grant read rights for ASPNET on virtual folder where project reside
- Execute iisreset from command prompt.
This resolve the problem. I hope this helps.